Although it is important to have the Uber app on your phone, you can also request an Uber cab ride without necessarily logging into the app. Here are a few ways to request an Uber without using the Uber app:
Search for, or type in, your destination and map it out as usual on Google maps. Once you see your route, swipe right on the transportation options on the top of the screen until you come across the stick figure holding a briefcase then tap select. Follow the next steps as detailed below:
- This will prompt a pop-up screen on the bottom showing price estimate and wait time for Uber.
- Click on the Uber tab at the top. The interface is not exactly what you’re used to seeing in the Uber app, but you still have the same basic options for comparing prices and wait times. Next, select your ride type (UberPool, UberX, Uber XL, Select, Black or SUV) and click request.
- This will prompt you to select a payment method. It defaults to the card on file for your Uber account, but you can easily add a different one or even use Android Pay if you have it set up on your phone.
- If you’ve already linked Uber cab to your Google account, you should see the tiny car icon making its way to you as soon as you hit the “Book it” button on the bottom right. If not, you’ll see a pop-up screen prompting you to do so before you book.
- Once your driver is en route you can contact him or her directly from Google Maps or cancel your ride. You’ll still be notified when the car arrives.
- The only thing you may still have to use the Uber app for is to rate your driver after the ride.
Kommen is an android based app that allows you schedule Uber cab rides ahead, You can book a ride 15 mins to 30 days ahead and even schedule up to 5 rides at once. To schedule an Uber with Kommen, please follow the quick steps below:
- Log in with your Uber Passenger Account to Kommen
You only need to log in once. You also only need to provide us permissions to request Uber rides on your behalf (once), and that is it
- Select your Pickup Date and Time
Let us know when you want your Uber, and we will request your Uber in enough time for you to make your trip on schedule.
- Select your Pickup Address
Let us know where you want your Uber to get you, and we will send your Uber there.
- Wait for your Uber
We will notify you when your Uber is arriving.
Kommen is currently available in a number of countries across the globe. These countries include: Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belgium, Denmark, (UAE) Dubai, Egypt, Finland, Germany, Jordan, Netherlands, Norway, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, Australia, Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Israel, Kenya, Lebanon, Nigeria, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, UAE, United Kingdom, Canada, Mexico and the United States. To learn more about Kommen, visit www.trykommen.com.
Dial an Uber
In India, you can request an Uber without having a smartphone. This option caters to the Indian populace who do not have smartphones.
In order to make an app-less booking, go to the dial.uber.com webpage. The page prompts a ‘Start Riding’ option, which is how the process of booking begins on the site. It will then ask for your phone number, so you can be contacted and notified regarding your booking.
The contact detail is followed by the traditional ‘permission to access information’, once it is accepted, the web page takes you to the page that shows the nearest cab, with an option to ‘Book a Ride’ at the bottom of the screen. Once booked, the page shows the details of the cab booked, along with the option to call the driver or cancel the trip. The web page also has the same rule of cancellation of a booked cab as the app, which means you can cancel the ride within five minutes without paying a cancellation fee.
This service is currently available in India.
With these options detailed above, you do not have to entirely depend on the Uber app option anymore. Now get to riding.